The piece is part of “The Eye of Memory” on view at Poznan’s Castle Culture Center through October 12.
After the Nazis invaded Poland, they transformed Poznan’s Great Synagogue, which dates back to 1907, into a public swimming pool and spa. In 1939, Poznan’s imperial castle was converted into an official residence for the Führer, with the building’s chapel hosting a duplicate of his office in the Reich’s chancellery.
The synagogue actually continued to serve as a municipal pool for many years, only closing in 2011 because the building had deteriorated. The castle, heavily damaged at the end of the war, was refurbished and reopened as the Castle Culture Center.